Tuesday, March 09, 2010

Some of my favorite things

I hope the title doesn't disappoint you, but some of my favorite things are books. I have a small collection of old books, particularly classic children's literature. The pages are yellow and delicate. I especially love the old "Golden Books". They are so sweet! I even have a book on homemaking written in the early 60's complete with a woman in high heels, a dress and apron on the cover. I love to pull it out once in awhile and see how some things have changed and some things have not.

I thought I would take some time here and go through my own bookshelf and share some of my favorites. When my eighteen year old daughter was about five, I discovered Leading Little Ones to God. It is theology for kids. But don't let that scare you, it is wonderful! It communicates so beautifully in a way that children understand. I have used this wonderful devotional for fifteen years now, and I am getting ready to begin it again with my five year old. But the best part is that everyone loves listening and hearing the stories again. There are simple discussion questions that we have used at mealtime and a hymn which we recite often as a prayer.

It answers questions like, "Has anyone ever seen God?" and "How God's children live and grow". Next to the Bible itself, this has been my favorite children's devotional. It can be used with children and grandchildren of all ages. It is truly timeless and one of my favorites.


3 comments:

Mocha with Linda said...

What a great book! They sure don't make 'em like they used to!

Susanne said...

I love the Golden books too. I had them when I was little and my kids grew up with lots of them too!

This little deovotional looks awesome.

Judy said...

This is the book we are using now with our homeschool curriculum! :)It's a great devotion!